Fair warning, these are easy to make but take longer than you might expect…especially when you’re making over 20 of them. BUT, they are a super fun and cheap way to bring the party to your living room. I wanted various colors, shapes and lengths to create depth, but you can really make them however you want!
- Tissue paper stack cut in half (10 sheets per pom pom)
- Place 10 sheets of tissue paper on top of each other. Cut in half. I tried a couple ways of cutting them – in half and 2/3 to 1/3 to create one big and one small. Small ones are hardest to make and the large ones droop too much for my tastes.
- Fold like an accordion with 1 /2 inch of space in between – backwards and forwards.
- Once completely folded up, cut the edges – you can either round the tips or cut into a V.
- Cut a long piece of ribbon and tie one end in a knot around the center of the folded up tissue accordion. This keeps everything in place but also gives you something to hang the pom pom up with.
- Pull one side of the accordion open like a fan and lay it flat on the ground.
- Carefully unfold and fluff each piece of tissue so it forms a ball.
- Once each piece is pulled apart, you can pull pieces towards and away from the string and the other tissue as needed.